True self is non-self, the awareness that the self is made only of non-self elements. There’s no separation between self and other, and everything is interconnected. Once you are aware of that you are no longer caught in the idea that you are a separate entity. Thich Nhat Hanh
Thinking Out Loud #2
“Separation” – The Choice Some Make
My brain works a little different from most people. I’m good with that. Happy even. I sometimes see things others over look. Take today’s topic for example. Have you ever wondered why people kick-off when someone else doesn’t agree with their views? As you can imagine I do a lot of research, so I come across this all the time. Mostly on social media, but even healthy debates can turn nasty quite quickly.
It comes down to separation – The you against me mentality
Of course this isn’t where it starts, it’s where it ends. One side disagreeing with the other to a point where friendship can no longer be an option. You see it throughout history from the so-called birth of brainwashing, to religion, sports…
So if separation is the result, whats the cause?
It’s as simple as just disagreeing with another. Which implies: Subject “A” has an emotional contention with either subject “B” and/or the content. Which brings us to – judgement. And what comes before judgement… Justification of views and/or choices.
Justification = judgement = Separation.
- If subject “A” chose one way and subject “B” chose the opposite. And then both claimed their path was the best, they would have to justify their thoughts and actions.
- As we know, for some people are emotionally connected to their beliefs, this can cause a problem.
I have to admit, I hate it when people attack my views. I used to find myself justifying my reasoning all the time. These days, not so much. After all, it’s not there fault they’re wrong 😉
You may think the following links have nothing to do with separation, and you maybe right. However, I challenge you to understand the reasoning behind them.
- Social Identity Theory – Simply psychology (By Saul McLeod)
- How to Break Out of a Victim Mentality: 7 Powerful Tips – Positivity Blog (by Henrik Edberg)
- Scientific Research: Health Benefits of Personal Grounding/Earthing – YouTube 01:25 minutes.
- Grounding with Clint Ober and Dr. Christy Weston – YouTube 07:15 minutes.
- How to Get Healthy While You Sleep – From Wellness Mama article.