True self is non-self, the awareness that the self is made only of non-self elements. There’s no separation between self and other, and everything is interconnected. Once you are aware of that you are no longer caught in the idea that you are a separate entity. Thich Nhat Hanh
Thinking Out Loud #2
“Separation” – The Choice Some Make
My brain works a little differently from most people. I’m good with that. Happy even. I sometimes come across things others over look. Take today’s topic for example. Have you ever wondered why people kick-off when someone doesn’t agree with their point of view? As you can imagine, because of my research I come across this all the time. Mostly on social media, but even offline healthy debates can turn nasty quickly.
It comes down to separation – The you against me mentality
This isn’t where it starts of course, it’s where it ends. One side disagreeing with the other to a point where friendship can no longer be an option. You can see this mentality throughout history from religion, to politics, sports…
So if separation is the result, whats the cause?
It’s as simple as just disagreeing with another. Which implies: Subject “A” has an emotional connection with either subject “B” and/or the content. Which brings us to – judgement. And what comes before judgement… Justification of views and/or choices.
Justification = judgement = Separation.
- If subject “A” chose one way and subject “B” chose the opposite, and then both claimed their path was the best, they would have to justify their thoughts and actions.
- As we know, some people are emotionally connected to their beliefs. This can cause a problem.
- Emotional fear or hate blocks the full picture. It’s a catch 22 moment, because to see the full picture you need to view it from all sides. Unless there is a willingness to walk in the others shoes, and the willingness to let go of ones pride, then justification will be the first step to separation.
Anyway, having said all that, I used to find myself justifying my reasoning all the time. These days, not so much. After all, it’s not their fault they’re wrong 😉
You may think the following links have nothing to do with separation, and you maybe right. However, I challenge you to understand the reasoning behind them.
- Social Identity Theory – Simply psychology (By Saul McLeod)
- How to Break Out of a Victim Mentality: 7 Powerful Tips – Positivity Blog (by Henrik Edberg)
- Scientific Research: Health Benefits of Personal Grounding/Earthing – YouTube 01:25 minutes.
- Grounding with Clint Ober and Dr. Christy Weston – YouTube 07:15 minutes.
- How to Get Healthy While You Sleep – From Wellness Mama article.